The Prince (aka Prince Ferdinand) – a little tutorial

I’m a wee bit late with my Disney posts…but better late than never, right?

You can’t have Snow White without her Prince.  And a handsome prince he is. (If I do say so myself).  I had to google it, but yes, Snow White’s prince’s name is Ferdinand.  But I think in the movie, he is referred to as “The Prince”.


I had a hard time finding a pattern for his outfit.  In fact, it’s hard to find Disney-esque costumes for boys.  That is why I am forced to come up with my own from patterns that already exist.

The Prince’s top looked sort of art smock-ish, so I started with the “bias-trimmed apron” pattern from Little Things to Sew (by Liesl Gibson of Oliver and S).  I pretty much just winged this costume, but I took some photos as I was going along so I’m going to explain my process as I go.

The Bias-trimmed apron has full sides and a velcro or snap back to make it easy to pull on.  I wanted to make it even simpler, so I used only the front pattern piece and used it for the front and the back.  Because it’s made with woven fabric with no stretch, I cut the front neckline a bit deeper so it would go over Jacob’s head.  I kept trying it on over his head, till I was happy.  In hindsight, I probably should have kept some sort of opening at the back, but as a costume, I think it turned out just fine.


I didn’t use the instructions for the apron, just the pattern piece.

I started by sewing and serging the shoulder seams.

I wanted it to go over his head and I also wanted it to close with tabs instead of being fully enclosed on the sides.  I knew I was going to be wrapping some sort of gold rope around so I wanted it as open as possible to decrease the bulk when the rope was tied.

To create the tabs, cut out 8 tabs from your fabric.


Sew 2 of them them wrong sides together  (4 times, to make 4 tabs), and flip them right sides out pushing the rounded edges out with a knitting needle to make a smooth curve.

IMG_0033 IMG_0031

Attach  each tab partway up the sides.  There were notches on the pattern piece where the original sides should have been attached; use these for placement.

IMG_0035 IMG_0036

Baste the tabs to the wrong side of the smock.


I bought some gold bias trim by the meter and attached it cheater-style to the outer edge and the neckline.  By cheater style, I just sandwiched the fabric in the bias and edge stitched it in place.


Lastly was the fun bit.  Not!  I bought some gold cording in the drapery department of Fabricland and hand stitched it to the back neckline, up to the shoulder seam.  By stitching it only at the back, it’s easier to adjust the fit as kids get bigger.  I just sort of wrap it around and tie in the front.


Now for the cape.  I just sort of winged this one as well.  I found several tutorials online for Prince capes, but in the end I just sort of drew the general shape on my fabric and attached the same gold bias, leaving tails long enough to tie.

So there you have it.  One Prince Ferdinand costume.


I know I’m biased….but how cute!  Prepare for photo overload.


Cape and autographs!

EPCOT_WSGER_7512730062 EPCOT_WSGER_7512731736 EPCOT_WSGER_7512731739 EPCOT_WSGER_7512732541 EPCOT_WSGER_7512731745 IMG_0198



My Little Snow Queen

Finally!  Here she is.  Elsa, the snow queen.  About time, right?


Truth is, I made this dress about a month ago.  I just haven’t gotten around to blogging about it till now.

I used Mandy K’s Princess Party dress (again) for Queen Elsa.  This time I followed the pattern to the letter (I think anyway).   Cinderella and Sofia had some variations of this pattern.  This is the very first time I’ve sewn with 100% polyester, “costume” fabrics.  And to be completely honest, I don’t even know what they are exactly.  When I walked into our local Fabricland they had a big Frozen display near the front of the store with fabrics in the appropriate colours set up to choose from.  It made my shopping trip super simple because I just chose from what was there.  The skirt fabric is a crepe satin (I think) and was only $2/meter.  Score!!  The sparkly fabric for the bodice was a real pain, but looks great.  It has a really open weave, but since I lined the whole bodice with white quilting cotton, it works.  :)  The upper bodice and sleeves was made from a piece of fabric I found in the remnant bin.  I don’t think it’s meant for clothing, I think it’s meant more for a sheer curtain, but it worked perfectly for Elsa.  The cape is a sheer fabric with snowflakes on it.  It sort of reminds me of what my Christmas tree skirt looks like.  It works perfectly as Elsa’s cape.



Elsa’s cape is detachable by 2 KAM snaps on the back.  I contemplated making her cape really long.  But seeing as it’s for walking around Disney World (and probably on Hallowe’en as well) I kept it short.  The skirt is way longer than I normally sew for Maya, but I wanted to be as true to the film as I could without risking her tripping every couple of steps.  I love that the cape is detachable, but my KAM snap ability clearly is not highly developed and it unsnaps very easily.  I’m going to have to try to fix that before we leave for Florida.


There’s really not too much to say about this pattern that I haven’t said already.  For princess dresses, this is my go to pattern.  I’ve learned enough about modifying patterns with this pattern (Cinderella and bodice on Sofia) that I think I’ll be able to make any princess Maya desires.


Even though I used some really inexpensive, low quality fabrics for this dress, it sewed up like a dream and looks fantastic.


The look on Maya’s face when she saw this was priceless.  She had been asking me for weeks for an Elsa dress and in the end it really only took a couple of uninterrupted hours.  Win-win!