I’m a wee bit late with my Disney posts…but better late than never, right?
You can’t have Snow White without her Prince. And a handsome prince he is. (If I do say so myself). I had to google it, but yes, Snow White’s prince’s name is Ferdinand. But I think in the movie, he is referred to as “The Prince”.
I had a hard time finding a pattern for his outfit. In fact, it’s hard to find Disney-esque costumes for boys. That is why I am forced to come up with my own from patterns that already exist.
The Prince’s top looked sort of art smock-ish, so I started with the “bias-trimmed apron” pattern from Little Things to Sew (by Liesl Gibson of Oliver and S). I pretty much just winged this costume, but I took some photos as I was going along so I’m going to explain my process as I go.
The Bias-trimmed apron has full sides and a velcro or snap back to make it easy to pull on. I wanted to make it even simpler, so I used only the front pattern piece and used it for the front and the back. Because it’s made with woven fabric with no stretch, I cut the front neckline a bit deeper so it would go over Jacob’s head. I kept trying it on over his head, till I was happy. In hindsight, I probably should have kept some sort of opening at the back, but as a costume, I think it turned out just fine.
I didn’t use the instructions for the apron, just the pattern piece.
I started by sewing and serging the shoulder seams.
I wanted it to go over his head and I also wanted it to close with tabs instead of being fully enclosed on the sides. I knew I was going to be wrapping some sort of gold rope around so I wanted it as open as possible to decrease the bulk when the rope was tied.
To create the tabs, cut out 8 tabs from your fabric.
Sew 2 of them them wrong sides together (4 times, to make 4 tabs), and flip them right sides out pushing the rounded edges out with a knitting needle to make a smooth curve.
Attach each tab partway up the sides. There were notches on the pattern piece where the original sides should have been attached; use these for placement.
Baste the tabs to the wrong side of the smock.
I bought some gold bias trim by the meter and attached it cheater-style to the outer edge and the neckline. By cheater style, I just sandwiched the fabric in the bias and edge stitched it in place.
Lastly was the fun bit. Not! I bought some gold cording in the drapery department of Fabricland and hand stitched it to the back neckline, up to the shoulder seam. By stitching it only at the back, it’s easier to adjust the fit as kids get bigger. I just sort of wrap it around and tie in the front.
Now for the cape. I just sort of winged this one as well. I found several tutorials online for Prince capes, but in the end I just sort of drew the general shape on my fabric and attached the same gold bias, leaving tails long enough to tie.
So there you have it. One Prince Ferdinand costume.
I know I’m biased….but how cute! Prepare for photo overload.