Kids Clothes Week: a first day dress

I decided on the First Day dress by Dana Made It to attach my snow queen applique.  I wanted something that was not twirly in order to showcase my pretty applique.  I’ve made the swing version of the First Day dress (yet to blog about that), and I love how it turned out.  So I thought I would give the A-Line version a try.  I’m glad I did.

Instead of just showing the finished dress, I thought I would walk you through a bit of my sewing process.

I decided to make the dress without the sleeve even though I really like the sleeve.  I wanted Maya to wear this dress more as a jumper.  I decided to make a size 5 even though she is in between a 3 and 4 for this pattern based on her measurements.  I want her to be able to wear a long sleeve shirt under it without it being too tight.

I printed the pattern pages off and taped them together.  I really dislike this part, but who doesn’t.  The good thing about the A-line version (without sleeves) is there is only ONE pattern piece.  Yay!

IMG_7128

I don’t know when or where or from whom I got the original idea to use Freezer Paper.  But it is the best!  I couldn’t find it in Canada for the longest time, so when I would go to the States, I would stock up.  I’m happy to say, we can get it here now.  It has a matte side and a shiny side.  Whoever tried to iron it onto fabric originally, was brilliant.  So basically you just trace your size onto the freezer paper, put it on your fabric, iron it on and cut around it.  No more pinning paper pattern pieces to your fabric.  Brilliant.  It also allows you to save the pattern you painstakingly taped together in order to use again for different sizes.

IMG_7129 IMG_7130

I would have loved to have used a colour other than white for my lining, but I’m really trying to use up what I have before I go an buy any new fabric.  So white it is.  It’s a poly cotton white broadcloth.  It’s great for lining because it’s really lightweight.  I decided to make a covered button for the back using one of the coordinating fabrics.  I really like the Hollywood Sparkle line by Riley Blake.  It really is sparkly.

IMG_7131 IMG_7132

I must admit, I don’t love the way the arm holes are done on this pattern, but it really does yield a pretty interior to the dress.  It’s a lot of pinning on my part.  Probably not entirely necessary, but I wanted my lining out outer fabric to match up perfectly.

IMG_7134

This dress, especially the A-line version of it, is a pretty quick and straight forward sew.  It’s basically two shoulder seams and the side seams.  Because it’s totally lined, I didn’t even have to use my serger because there are no exposed seams whatsoever.  The lining is even sewn into the hem.  That part didn’t go so well and I think I have a few puckers, but I won’t know for sure until Maya tries it on in the morning.  But I’m getting ahead of myself.

IMG_7135

Before I finished the hem of the dress, I cut my Snow Queen out from the cotton fabric backing and attached it with Heat n Bond and stitched around the applique with a straight stitch.

IMG_7136

I finished the hem, enclosing the lining within added my fabric covered button and TADA!  a finished First Day Snow Queen Dress.  Hopefully Maya cooperates tomorrow and we can get some decent photos of her in it.

IMG_7137

IMG_7138

 

Kids Clothes Week: Snow Queen Applique

This is the first time I’ve taken part in Kids Clothes Week (KCW).  I followed along with several bloggers the last time, and afterwards decided I wanted to partake in all the fun.  Basically, KCW is a week where you take (at least) one hour a day, for 7 days and sew for your kids.  There’s a theme every time, but you don’t have to follow that.  Originally, I was just going to go my own way.  But at the last minute I decided to try to follow the theme.  At least for a day or two.

As you know, Maya loves Frozen (the movie).  But she also loves her Frozen storybook.  It’s basically just an adaptation of the movie, but a storybook nonetheless.

A few months ago I ordered the “One Thimble” e-zine.  It’s a digital magazine chock full of different sewing techniques, ideas and new patterns.  In it was an “snow queen” applique tutorial and pattern by Ric-Rac and Retro.  It’s a great tutorial on how to create an organic look to machine stitching.  It looks more like a pencil outline, than actual machine stitches.  I was a little intimidated at first, but then when I realized I have been on an applique kick over the past several months (see here and here as well as some projects in upcoming blog posts) I decided to go for it.  It’s a step up from the simpler appliques I had done.  It reminds me more of a colouring page than anything else.  You know when you were a kid and outlined the picture in marker and then coloured it in with pencil crayons….maybe that was just me.  But that’s what I was thinking about as I stitched around all the little pieces that make up this Snow Queen.

I didn’t want it to look like a literal Elsa, and I think I did a pretty good job at bringing out the essence of her, without it being blatantly obvious.

I decided to use some of the Hollywood Sparkle fabric by Riley Blake I had been hoarding for this little project, I used the chevron and damask prints.  You can easily use little bits of scraps you have lying around for this project.  It really doesn’t take up much fabric at all.  The flesh tone and the yellow hair were just small scraps I had in my scrap bucket.

IMG_7119edit IMG_7121edit IMG_7124edit

Now to decide what to put the final applique on.  I know it will be a dress (because Maya is in a “wear a dress every day” phase).  But I’m not entirely sure which one I will put it on yet. But I do know it’s going to go on the coordinating sparkly polka dot printed fabric.

IMG_7120

See you tomorrow for Day 2.