I decided on the First Day dress by Dana Made It to attach my snow queen applique. I wanted something that was not twirly in order to showcase my pretty applique. I’ve made the swing version of the First Day dress (yet to blog about that), and I love how it turned out. So I thought I would give the A-Line version a try. I’m glad I did.
Instead of just showing the finished dress, I thought I would walk you through a bit of my sewing process.
I decided to make the dress without the sleeve even though I really like the sleeve. I wanted Maya to wear this dress more as a jumper. I decided to make a size 5 even though she is in between a 3 and 4 for this pattern based on her measurements. I want her to be able to wear a long sleeve shirt under it without it being too tight.
I printed the pattern pages off and taped them together. I really dislike this part, but who doesn’t. The good thing about the A-line version (without sleeves) is there is only ONE pattern piece. Yay!
I don’t know when or where or from whom I got the original idea to use Freezer Paper. But it is the best! I couldn’t find it in Canada for the longest time, so when I would go to the States, I would stock up. I’m happy to say, we can get it here now. It has a matte side and a shiny side. Whoever tried to iron it onto fabric originally, was brilliant. So basically you just trace your size onto the freezer paper, put it on your fabric, iron it on and cut around it. No more pinning paper pattern pieces to your fabric. Brilliant. It also allows you to save the pattern you painstakingly taped together in order to use again for different sizes.
I would have loved to have used a colour other than white for my lining, but I’m really trying to use up what I have before I go an buy any new fabric. So white it is. It’s a poly cotton white broadcloth. It’s great for lining because it’s really lightweight. I decided to make a covered button for the back using one of the coordinating fabrics. I really like the Hollywood Sparkle line by Riley Blake. It really is sparkly.
I must admit, I don’t love the way the arm holes are done on this pattern, but it really does yield a pretty interior to the dress. It’s a lot of pinning on my part. Probably not entirely necessary, but I wanted my lining out outer fabric to match up perfectly.
This dress, especially the A-line version of it, is a pretty quick and straight forward sew. It’s basically two shoulder seams and the side seams. Because it’s totally lined, I didn’t even have to use my serger because there are no exposed seams whatsoever. The lining is even sewn into the hem. That part didn’t go so well and I think I have a few puckers, but I won’t know for sure until Maya tries it on in the morning. But I’m getting ahead of myself.
Before I finished the hem of the dress, I cut my Snow Queen out from the cotton fabric backing and attached it with Heat n Bond and stitched around the applique with a straight stitch.
I finished the hem, enclosing the lining within added my fabric covered button and TADA! a finished First Day Snow Queen Dress. Hopefully Maya cooperates tomorrow and we can get some decent photos of her in it.